FTM Top Surgery
What Is Female-To-Male (FTM) Top Surgery?FTM top surgery is a gender-affirming procedure performed to masculinize the chest area. Depending on the patient’s anatomy and goals for treatment, FTM top surgery may involve:
- Removing unwanted breast tissue
- Reshaping, resizing, and/or repositioning the nipples
- Adjusting the skin to complement the patient’s new chest shape
Chest Masculization:View More
FTM Top Surgery Surgical TechniquesAt your consultation with Dr. Keith, based on your anatomy and specific goals of surgery, you will decide as a team what technique is best for you.
- Double incision: This is the most frequently performed chest masculinization procedure. A horizontal incision is made on either side of the chest area to allow for the removal of breast tissue and excess skin. The nipple areolar complex (NAC) is then removed and placed back down as a graft, in a more masculine size, position and shape.
- Periareolar (concentric-circle technique): Periareolar top surgery can be an effective technique for patients whose treatment goals can be accomplished with the removal of minimal to moderate volumes of breast tissue and skin. This technique involves an incision around each areola. This technique is limited in its ability to resize and reposition the nipple areolar complex.
FTM Top Surgery RecoveryTop surgery recovery requires you to restrict your activities for several weeks to support the healing process and avoid compromising your results. The length of your recovery will depend on the extent of your procedure, your body’s natural rate of healing, and how closely you follow the aftercare instructions provided by your surgeon.
Patients Under Age 18The team at ECAPS will consider candidacy for younger patients under age 18 who provide referral letters from a mental health professional and have parental consent.
Review from A. | Source: Healthgrades | Dec 4, 2018
“Dr. Keith is simply one of the most caring and compassion surgeons I’ve ever met. He explained my procedure and recovery very throughly. Pre and postop he was reassuring and attentive. Removal of breasts and chest masculinization (involving large breasts): outcome is even better than I expected. Virtually no pain and a speedy recovery. His staff works hard to handle insurance approval and claims. He is very supportive and proactive for his transgender patients. I can’t recommend him enough.”