Facelift Surgery (Rhytidectomy)
As we all know, aging profoundly changes almost everything about our faces. The overall effect is often the appearance of a sagging, weariness across all of its features. Today, facelifts can restore dynamism and youth to mature faces with far more subtlety and nuance than ever before. When performed by a highly skilled surgeon, a rhytidectomy can lift and restore firmness to the face, creating dramatic results while preserving the distinctions that make your face your own. If you are considering a facelift procedure and want to learn more, we invite you to schedule a one-on-one consultation at one of our ECAPS Centers of New Jersey locations in Hoboken, Ridgewood, or Livingston.
What is a Facelift?
Facelift surgery, also known as ‘rhytidectomy,’ is an ever-evolving procedure that can give you the youthful, lifted look you desire. Generally speaking, all facelift surgeries will involve some incisions along the ear. Loose facial skin is then tightened, and any excess skin will be removed in order to improve your visible signs of aging. In some cases you may also need liposuction to achieve the results you desire.
During your consultation at the East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery Center, a skilled surgeon will discuss the best approach and techniques to meet your needs and goals.
Am I a good candidate for a facelift procedure?
Cosmetic procedures can have amazing results, but surgery is not necessarily for everyone. Please review the following points to determine whether or not a facelift will benefit you:
- You are in good physical condition and can withstand major surgery
- You have a good bone structure and retain some skin elasticity
- You are bothered by signs of aging in your face
- You have deep creases around the nose and/or below the lower eyelids
- You have parenthesis (creases along the sides of the mouth)
- You have areas of excess fatty deposits that have fallen or are displaced
- You have loose skin and sagging in any of these areas: the mid-face, neck, or along the jaw causing jowls or the appearance of a double chin
During your one-on-one consultation with a surgeon at one of our ECAPS locations, you will go over these considerations in order to ensure that your surgery is a success. All of our New Jersey facelift patients should be prepared to discuss their full medical history during their consultation, including any medical conditions, previous surgeries or treatments, drug allergies, current medications, and use of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal substances.
Special Considerations for Facelift Surgery
Please consider the following factors before committing to plastic surgery:
- Expectations: It is very important to have realistic expectations of plastic surgery. Facelifts can make you appear younger, but they do not stop the aging process altogether. It is imperative that you undergo your facelift for reasons that are solely your own.
- Medical conditions: This procedure is not recommended for those with diabetes, heart problems, or a weak immune system. It is very important that you are healthy enough for surgery at the time of your facelift. Surgery should always be taken very seriously.
- Weight: It is likely that your cosmetic surgeon will suggest that any major weight loss goals you have be completed before your surgery. Weight fluctuation can negatively impact the results of your surgery.
Your Facelift Consultation
During your rhytidectomy consultation, we will discuss your goals for facelift surgery. We will check your medical records, including previous facial procedures. You must disclose your current medications, supplements, diet, and lifestyle habits such as smoking. We will take measurements of your face and create the best surgical plan for you.
Our surgeon will give you instructions to prepare for the facelift surgery. You may need to stop taking certain medications and supplements. We will make sure you fully understand the entire process before we schedule your facelift surgery.
What Is a Rhytidectomy Like?
In New Jersey, Facelift surgery is commonly performed as an outpatient surgery, with general anesthesia or local anesthesia and sedation. Incisions will be made near the ears; the exact pattern of these incisions will depend on the treatment plan.
Excess skin will be removed and facial tissues will be contoured to achieve the desired effect. The incisions will be closed using sutures, completing the surgery.
The Facelift Surgery Recovery Period
After a few hours of recovery you will likely be permitted to go home. Your incisions will be wrapped in gauze dressings and may include drain tubes to prevent the accumulation of fluid.
Bruising will occur after your facelift, but this typically resolves itself within two weeks. Swelling is most prominent in the first two days post surgery but greatly improves within two weeks. It may take several weeks for all swelling to clear. Facial numbness may occur but should resolve within several months.
The highly skilled plastic surgeons at East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery will be with you during any and all of your facial rejuvenation procedures. You will be sent home with a list of detailed care instructions to ensure that your recovery process is a success.
Facelift Surgery Cost
The overall cost of facelift surgery varies from case to case. Details that can affect overall price include anesthesia fees, facility fees, physician’s fees, and more. The type of facelift procedure performed will also impact the overall price of your rhytidectomy.
Schedule Your Consultation
Before making a decision about getting facelift surgery, New Jersey patients can speak with one of the skilled surgeons at East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery. We address all inquiries during consultations, so schedule your appointment by contacting us today!