Breast Augmentation Revision Surgery
Innovations have made breast augmentation procedures grow increasingly advanced and individualized. However, some women don’t achieve the look they were seeking after their first augmentation procedure. In these cases, breast augmentation revision surgery by a skilled surgeon is the only option for correcting the results of the original procedure. Most commonly, women choose to undergo a revision mammoplasty to improve the natural look and feel of their breasts, change the size of the original implants, or to correct a capsular contracture. If you are considering a revision procedure, we encourage you to schedule a one-on-one consultation with a skilled surgeon at one of the East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery offices in New Jersey.
What happens during breast augmentation revision surgery?
There are many options available for correcting a previous breast augmentation procedure. Your highly experienced and skilled ECAPS surgeon will recommend the best course of action depending on your breast tissue, body shape, and personal goals for your body.
The breast augmentation revision surgery will be done following the treatment plan to make sure the procedure will produce the intended results according to the goals and expectations of the patients when agreeing to the surgery. The welfare and safety of the patient will be considered all throughout the procedure for the comfort of the patient.
Am I a good candidate for breast augmentation revision surgery?
You may be a good candidate for breast augmentation revision surgery if one or more of the following are true:
- You underwent a surgery where your implants were inserted incorrectly. (Often this includes implants that were placed unnaturally high or low on the chest and did not settle into the correct position. Implants may also have been spaced too widely apart.)
- You are unhappy with the size of your original breast implants.
- The location or size of each implant is asymmetrical.
- One or both of your implants have defects that may include deflation or rupture.
- Your implants can be seen or felt through the skin.
- If you are experiencing a capsular contracture, revision surgery can help. In these instances, the body has formed a thick scar around the implant causing it to feel firmer.
- You are experiencing symmastia – the appearance that the breasts are connected in the midline.
YOUR BREAST AUGMENTATION REVISION SURGERY CONSULTATION
During your one-on-one consultation with a surgeon at one of our ECAPS offices in New Jersey, you will go over the aforementioned considerations in order to ensure that your surgery is a success. Open, honest discussion of your desired breast size and expected outcome will determine whether your desires can be realistically achieved.
We will listen to your concerns regarding the results of your primary breast augmentation, and you can ask any questions you may have regarding the procedure.
You should be prepared to discuss your full medical history during your consultation, including any medical conditions, previous surgeries or treatments, drug allergies, current medications, and use of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal substances.
Breast Augmentation Procedure Considerations
The following factors are also important to consider prior to undergoing breast augmentation revision surgery:
- Breast Cancer: While there doesn’t appear to be any link between breast augmentation and cancer, breast implants can affect your ability to successfully undergo a mammogram. This may be a special consideration for women who have a higher risk of breast cancer.
- Weight Loss: Any extreme weight loss can affect the results of your revision. It is suggested that you try to reach your ideal weight prior to any plastic surgery.
- Pregnancy: Breast implants do not affect pregnancy or breastfeeding, but pregnancy can cause unpredictable breast changes that may affect the long-term results of your surgery.
Review from A.| Source: Healthgrades | Apr 5, 2019
“My visits with Dr. Cerio were wonderful. He was punctual with appointment times, his staff was very friendly and welcoming. Dr. Cerio gave me 100% of his attention during my appointments and I did not feel rushed or unimportant. He made me feel comfortable and relaxed from the minute I met him. The results from my breast augmentation is spectacular. I truly can not find one negative comment for this team. I am blessed to have been able to work with them and would not recommend anyone else.”
Surgery and Recovery
Breast augmentation revision surgery is typically an outpatient surgery performed under general or local anesthesia with sedation. Incisions will be made according to the treatment plan after the anesthesia takes full effect. Usually, the incisions created are the same ones that were used for the primary breast augmentation procedure.
The procedure may involve breast implant replacement or repositioning. It could also involve altering one or both breasts to achieve symmetry. The areolae might be repositioned during the surgery. After doing the necessary corrections, the incisions will be closed and bandaged to complete the breast augmentation revision surgery.
You should be permitted to go home within one day, and will be walking immediately following surgery. It is likely that your breasts will be wrapped in gauze dressings or a surgical bra to assure successful recovery. These gauze dressings will be removed within several days and you may be required to wear a supportive garment after that. Any swelling and discoloration that may occur will improve within 3-4 weeks.
It is important to remember that not all recovery processes are the same, and your experience may vary depending on your individual case.
Following your procedure, you will be sent home with a list of detailed care instructions to ensure that your recovery process is a success. Your East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery surgeon will be there to support you through every step of the process—from initial consultation through recovery.
A follow-up appointment will be scheduled to evaluate the progress of your recovery. The results will also be evaluated according to the original goals.
BREAST AUGMENTATION REVISION SURGERY COST
The cost of the breast augmentation revision surgery will depend on the treatment plan and the revisions performed during the procedure. The overall price will also be affected by the total surgical time required.
SCHEDULE YOUR CONSULTATION
Patients looking for breast augmentation revision surgery in New Jersey can contact us at East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery. Set up an appointment for a consultation to get started.