Forehead / Brow Lift Surgery (Browplasty)
Aging can leave even the happiest people looking sad or angry, and the most energetic looking fatigued. The truth is that the world reads you by the expression on your face—and it can be hard to feel like your true self when you feel like it’s telling the wrong story. As you well-know, there’s no beauty product in the world that can change your expression. The good news is that a fairly simple surgical procedure can. A forehead lift or brow lift can undo years of aging to restore youth and energy to your face. To learn more about how a brow or forehead lift can help you look more like yourself again, we invite you to schedule a consultation at one of our East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery of New Jersey offices in Hoboken, Ridgewood and Livingston.
What is a forehead or brow lift?
A forehead lift is also known as a brow lift, or less commonly: an endobrow lift, an open brow lift, or a temporal lift. Generally, all of these brow lift surgeries involve incisions along the hairline, tightening of loose facial skin, and removal of excess skin to diminish visible signs of aging. Brow lifts are intended to give you smooth, youthful looking skin.
There are several brow lift techniques that may help you obtain optimal results. Sometimes it is necessary to remove or reposition the muscle located in the brow area in order to further smooth the forehead. Incisions made can be long or short, and the approach can be open or endoscopic. The best approach will be determined for you by an ECAPS plastic surgeon depending on the position of your hairline, your facial bone structure, the condition of your skin, and any goals you may have for your face and skin.
Am I a good candidate for a forehead or brow lift?
Some of our patients benefit from brow lift surgery more than others. The following points will help you determine whether or not a brow lift is right for you:
- You are in good physical condition and can withstand surgery
- You have a good bone structure and retain some skin elasticity
- You have a sagging brow or deep furrows between your eyes
- You have heavy or sagging upper eyelids
- You have horizontal creases along the forehead
- You are bothered by creases or “frown lines” across your forehead
- You have a tired, angry or sad expression regardless of how you feel
During your one-on-one consultation with a surgeon at one of our ECAPS Centers of New Jersey, you will go over these considerations in order to ensure that your surgery is a success. You should be prepared to discuss your full medical history during your consultation, including any medical conditions, previous surgeries or treatments, drug allergies, current medications, and use of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal substances.
Special Considerations for Forehead / Brow lifts:
Please reflect upon the following before committing to plastic surgery:
- Expectations: Brow lifts can give you a younger looking appearance, but it is not a permanent procedure. Brow lifts do not stop the aging process. It is also not possible to look “like someone else” after a brow lift because no bone structure is rearranged or reconstructed. Please keep your expectations realistic, and remember that brow lifts must be performed for your happiness, not to please others.
- Medical conditions: This procedure is not recommended for those with uncontrolled diabetes, heart problems, or a weak immune system. These factors can complicate surgery and interfere with optimal recovery. It is important that you are healthy enough to withstand surgery before you go under the knife.
- Weight: It is important that you complete any weight loss goals prior to surgery and stabilize your weight. Extreme weight gain or weight loss will affect the long-term results of your procedure.
Surgery and Recovery
A brow lift is commonly an outpatient surgery, performed with general anesthesia or local anesthesia and sedation. After a few hours of recovery you will be permitted to go home.
Swelling is most prominent in the first two days post surgery but greatly improves within two weeks. It may take several weeks for all swelling to finally clear. Facial and scalp numbness may also occur but usually resolves within several months.
The helpful and innovative plastic surgeons at the East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery Center will be with you during all of your facial procedures. You will be sent home with a list of detailed care instructions to ensure that your recovery process is a success.