Chin Augmentation (Mentoplasty / Genioplasty)
A good chin can be the subtle key to a facial harmony and symmetry. When performed by a skilled plastic surgeon, a chin augmentation or chin reduction can improve the appearance of the entire face. If you are interested in learning more about how chin surgery can help you uncover the well-balanced face you’ve always wanted, please schedule a consultation with one of our surgeons at the ECAPS Centers of New Jersey, located in Hoboken, Ridgewood, and Livingston.
What is a mentoplasty or genioplasty?
Mentoplasty or genioplasty refers to surgery that reshapes the chin to improve the symmetry of facial features. This refining can be achieved using implants to augment the size of a small chin, or bone surgery to reduce the size of a large chin. Some patients undergoing chin surgery are correcting a previous injury or defect, but most are seeking a more balanced appearance. Chin surgery can be both a cosmetic and a medical procedure.
There are several procedures available to create facial harmony. During your one-on-one consultation with a skilled plastic surgeon at the East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery, you will discuss the best approach to meet your needs and your goals.
Am I a good candidate for chin surgery?
Chin surgery is major procedure, and it is not for everybody. Below is a list to help you determine whether or not chin augmentation is right for you:
- You are in good health, able to withstand surgery, and your facial growth is complete
- You are bothered by the shape or size of your chin
- The overall size of your chin is too large or small in relation to your other facial features
- Your chin profile includes visible humps or depressions
- Your chin is not symmetrical
- You have previous injuries to your chin that may be causing any of the aforementioned conditions
During your one-on-one consultation with a surgeon at one of our ECAPS Centers of New Jersey, you will go over these considerations in order to ensure that your surgery is a success. You should be prepared to discuss your full medical history during your consultation, including any medical conditions, previous surgeries or treatments, drug allergies, current medications, and use of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal substances.
Special Considerations for Chin Surgery (Mentoplasty/Genioplasty)
Surgery is a major decision that each patient must make for him or herself. Please reflect upon the following factors before committing to plastic surgery:
- Expectations: Chin augmentation procedures will help restore harmony to your face, but they will not necessarily leave you looking like a whole new person. It is important to have realistic expectations of plastic surgery and avoid undergoing any procedure for a reason other than your own.
- Medical conditions: This procedure is not recommended for those with diabetes, heart problems, or a weak immune system. These factors can complicate chin augmentation surgery and interfere with your optimal recovery. It is very important that you are healthy enough for surgery at the time of your chin augmentation.
Surgery and Recovery
Chin surgery is commonly an outpatient surgery, performed with general anesthesia or local anesthesia and sedation. After a few hours of recovery you will be permitted to go home. Your incisions will be wrapped in gauze dressings and any swelling or bruising you experience should subside within a few weeks. Your chin will be tender to the touch for the first few days following your augmentation, so it is suggested that our patients avoid straining, bending, lifting, biting hard things, and other strenuous activity for several days.
The highly skilled plastic surgeons at the East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery of New Jersey will be with you during all your facial procedures. You will be sent home with a list of detailed care instructions to ensure that your recovery process is a success.