Eyelid Lift (Blepharoplasty)
Our eyes are often our best features—as the saying goes, the windows of the soul. We see the world through our eyes, and the world reads us back through them. Unfortunately, heavy upper eyelids or puffy lower eyelids due to aging or heredity can make us appear tired, upset, or even sad when we actually feel energized and cheerful. An eyelid lift or blepharoplasty can help rejuvenate your eyes so that they better reflect your true self. To learn more about how an eyelid lift can lighten your overall expression and restore youthful energy to your face, call to set up a consultation at the East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery Center of New Jersey. To get started on your eyelid lift procedure, we welcome you to visit one of our offices in Hoboken, Ridgewood, or Livingston.
What is a blepharoplasty?
An eyelid lift, also referred to as blepharoplasty, is used to improve any sagging or wrinkling you may be experiencing around your upper or lower eyelids. Typically these surgeries involve the removal or repositioning of excess skin around the eyes to give the patient a more youthful appearance.
Sometimes performed in conjunction with a brow lift or facelift, eyelid surgery can dramatically rejuvenate a tired face. There are a number of eyelid techniques that may be able to provide you with optimal results. Your plastic surgeon will discuss your bone structure, skin condition and personal goals with you during your one on one consultation at the East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery.
Are you a good candidate for eyelid lift surgery?
Eyelid surgery can give you a vibrant new look, but surgery isn’t right for everybody. Below is a list to help you determine whether or not blepharoplasty is right for you:
- You are in good physical condition and can withstand surgery
- You have a tired, angry or sad expression regardless of how you feel
- You have dark circles under your eyes that will not go away
- You have excessive wrinkling around your upper or lower eyelids
- You have a good bone structure and retain some skin elasticity
- You are bothered by signs of aging in your eyes
- Your upper eyelids have excess skin causing sagging, puffiness or problems with your vision
- Your lower eyelids have sagging fat deposits causing bags to form under your eyes
During your one-on-one consultation with a surgeon at one of our ECAPS Centers of New Jersey, you will go over these considerations in order to ensure that your surgery is a success. You should be prepared to discuss your full medical history during your consultation, including any medical conditions, previous surgeries or treatments, drug allergies, current medications, and use of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal substances.
Special Considerations for Eyelid Lift Surgery
Please reflect upon the following factors before committing to plastic surgery:
- Expectations: Eyelid lifts can greatly improve your appearance, but they do not stop the aging process. This is not a permanent procedure, and it is very important that you keep your expectations realistic. Remember: eyelid lifts must be performed for your happiness, not in order to please others.
- Medical conditions: Eyelid procedures are not recommended for those with diabetes, heart problems, or a weak immune system. It is also not for those with eye disorders such as glaucoma, dry eye, or detached retinas. These factors can complicate surgery and interfere with optimal recovery. It is important that you are healthy enough to withstand surgery before you undergo blepharoplasty.
Surgery and Recovery
An eyelid lift is commonly an outpatient surgery, performed with general anesthesia or local anesthesia and sedation. After a few hours recovery you will be permitted to go home. Your incisions may require a cold compress or ointment during the recovery process. Your eyes may also be wrapped in gauze dressings for a short period of time.
Swelling is most prominent in the first two days post surgery but greatly improves within two weeks. It may take several weeks for all swelling to finally clear. You should be able to walk immediately following surgery and will be up and about within a day or two after your eyelid lift.
When it comes to eyelid lift New Jersey patients have an excellent option! The highly trained plastic surgeons at New Jersey-based East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery will be with you during all of your facial procedures. You will be sent home with a list of detailed care instructions to ensure that your recovery process is a success.