Ear Surgery (Otoplasty)
Let’s face it, no one wants their ears to be the first thing people notice about them. Large, protruding, or unattractive ears need not be a distraction from your more attractive features. Ear surgery or otoplasty can be an excellent option for refining overly prominent ears and restoring harmony to your face. If you’d like to discuss how ear surgery can help you draw attention away from your ears and toward other, more alluring features, we encourage you to make an appointment with a skilled cosmetic surgeon at one of our East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery Centers of New Jersey, with locations in Hoboken, Ridgewood, Livingston, and more.
What is an otoplasty?
Plastic surgery involving the ears is also referred to as ‘otoplasty.’ This procedure is typically used to improve the size, shape, or symmetry of the ears. Injury or birth defects are among the common reasons New Jersey patients seek out an otoplasty, as well as minor abnormalities like protruding ears. Ear surgery is typically performed for cosmetic reasons.
Incisions necessary for ear surgery are typically made in the outer and/or inner ear where the cartilage is shaped to achieve the desired look. Internal stitches are used to hold the newly shaped cartilage in place.
Ear surgery is as unique as each individual patient undergoing the procedure. The best approach for your needs will be discussed with you by a skilled plastic surgeon during your one on one consultation at the East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery Center.
Am I a good candidate for ear surgery?
One or more of the following points may indicate whether or not you are a good candidate for ear surgery:
- You are in good health, able to withstand major surgery, and are at least 5 years of age (age in which cartilage typically stabilizes)
- You are bothered by the shape or size of your ear
- The overall size of your ears are too large or small in relation to your other facial features
- Your ears are abnormally shaped or you have visible defects
- Your ears are not symmetrical to one another
- Your ears protrude outward from your head
- You have experienced a previous injury to your ears causing any of the aforementioned conditions
The highly trained New Jersey plastic surgeons at East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery care about your appearance and making your ears symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing. During your one-on-one consultation with a surgeon at one of our ECAPS locations, you will go over these considerations in order to ensure that your surgery is a success. You should be prepared to discuss your full medical history during your consultation, including any medical conditions, previous surgeries or treatments, drug allergies, current medications, and use of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal substances.
Special Considerations for Ear Surgery (Otoplasty)
Otoplasty is a unique and highly individualized surgery that may not be right for everyone. Please reflect upon the following factors before committing to plastic surgery in the New Jersey area:
- Expectations: Ear surgery can change a person’s life, but it is very important to have realistic expectations of plastic surgery. Please avoid undergoing a procedure for any reason other than your own.
- Medical conditions: This procedure is not recommended for those with diabetes, heart problems, or a weak immune system. These factors can complicate ear surgery and interfere with your optimal recovery. It is very important that you are healthy enough for surgery at the time of your otoplasty procedure.
Review from M. | Source: Healthgrades | Aug 17, 2019
“Dr. Bedri went out of his way to help my dad. He is professional, very caring and did wonderful work. He put his ear back together and you couldn’t even tell. He took what started out to be a traumatic scenario and made it into a pleasurable one. I would highly recommend him!! :)”
Surgery and Recovery
Ear surgery is typically performed as an outpatient surgery, with general anesthesia or local anesthesia and sedation. After a few hours to one day of recovery you will be permitted to go home. Your incisions will be wrapped in gauze dressings, and it is important to note that while they may itch during recovery, it is extremely important to leave bandages on in order to heal successfully.
Swelling is most prominent in the first two days post surgery but greatly improves within two weeks. However, it may take several weeks for all swelling to clear. Numbness may occur but usually resolves within several months as the underlying structures begin to heal.
The highly skilled plastic surgeons at East Coast Advanced Plastic Surgery will be with you during any and all of your ear surgeries. You will be sent home with a list of detailed care instructions to ensure that your recovery process is a success.
- Chin Augmentation (Mentoplasty / Genioplasty)
- Eyelid Lift (Blepharoplasty)
- Facelift Surgery (Rhytidectomy)
- Facial Fat Grafting
- Fat Injections / Fat Grafting
- Forehead / Brow Lift Surgery (Browplasty)
- Lip Augmentation Injections
- Neck Lift (Platysmaplasty)
- Nose Reshaping and Reconstruction (Rhinoplasty)